If you drive your electric vehicle to campus and park in one of our facilities, you can charge up with us. We are delighted to introduce our ChargePoint charging stations on the Monroe Park and MCV Campuses.
Ten charging stations are available at West Broad St. Deck, STEM Building (Monroe Park Campus), I Deck, and N Deck (MCV Campus), ensuring convenient access for the VCU community and visitors.
Our Level 2 charging stations are equipped with dual-port J1772 connectors, allowing two vehicles to charge simultaneously. Whether you drive an electric vehicle or a Tesla, our charging stations provide the necessary infrastructure to keep you on the move. Tesla drivers, please remember to bring your adaptor to ensure a seamless charging experience.
Accessing the charging stations
As part of our commitment to sustainable transportation, we are pleased to provide access to our electric vehicle charging stations at VCU Parking for subscribers and visitors. Visitors and non-permit holders can access the charging stations at West Broad St. Deck by paying the standard hourly parking rate.
For VCU parking subscribers, we offer access to the charging stations in West Broad St. Deck, I Deck, and N Deck. In the event that a charging station is not available in your designated parking facility, simply press the "i" button on the entry card reader upon entering the deck. This action will grant you access to the facility and its charging amenities.
We also encourage subscribers to connect with our account services team to explore the possibility of transferring their parking subscription to an alternate facility.
Please note that parking subscribers found to be in violation of parking in these designated locations without actively charging their vehicles may be subject to enforcement action. We kindly request your cooperation in adhering to this policy to ensure equitable access to the charging stations for all users.
How to charge your vehicle
- Create a free ChargePoint account.
- Use the ChargePoint app to find a vacant charging spot. You can view station availability in real-time to ensure you do not navigate to an occupied location.
- Start your charge three ways:
- Tap your phone (while signed in to the ChargePoint app) on the station;
- Tap your ChargePoint card on the station;
- Tap the orange “Start Charge” button in the station details page in the mobile app.
You can find specific instructions for charging your vehicle at www.chargepoint.com/resources/
EV Charging Fee
Effective August 28, 2023, the EV charging fee structure will consist of the following:
- From 6 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Friday: $1 per hour + $0.10 per kWh.
- From 6 p.m. to 6 a.m., Monday through Friday: $0.50 per hour + $0.10 per kWh.
- From 6 p.m. on Friday to 6 a.m. on Monday: $0.50 per hour + $0.10 per kWh.
These rates align with other Virginia universities and local establishments and help meet the growing demand for EV charging infrastructure on VCU’s campuses.