GRTC Mobile Pass
The GRTC Mobile Pass is now available for VCU and VCU Health System students, faculty, and staff members to use when riding GRTC buses. This new, convenient way to ride removes the need for the VCU-GRTC GO Pass cards. You'll simply activate your GRTC Mobile Pass on your phone, scan it when you’re ready to ride and present your VCU ID card to the driver or enforcement officer upon boarding.
If you choose to ride GRTC using the Mobile Pass and you have a physical GO Pass card, this card will be deactivated following successful registration of your GRTC Mobile Pass. If you would rather continue using your physical GO Pass to ride the bus, you should not begin the registration process for the Mobile Pass, and you can continue using your GO Pass as normal.
If you would like to use the GRTC Mobile Pass as your primary credential to ride the bus, you can proceed with the instructions below.
1. Visit https://apps.parking.vcu.edu/grtcsignup/ and follow the prompts to register the mobile number that will be associated with your GRTC Mobile Pass. You will also need to verify your VCU-affiliated email address at this point.
2. Following successful submission, you will receive a confirmation email at your VCU-affiliated email address notifying you to complete installation of your GRTC Mobile Pass. This email will arrive within 24 to 48 hours. Make sure you do not proceed with installation of the Mobile Pass prior to receiving this email.
1. Download the “GRTC Mobile Pass” app in your Apple or Google Play app store.
Note: Make sure you have downloaded both the GRTC Transit On The Go! and GRTC Mobile Pass apps if you want to seamlessly switch between the two apps for both bus tracking and pass usage.
2. To set up your Mobile Pass, open the app, and the Terms and Conditions will populate. Press “Continue.”
3. Tap the menu button in the top left-hand corner and select “My Passes”.
4. Tap the “Sign up” button at the bottom of the screen. Complete your registration information using your VCU email address and a non-VCU password.
5. Once you click “Register”, you will see the notice: “Need to Send an SMS for Verification Don’t edit message body while sending message” (as shown in first panel screenshot below). Click the “Send SMS” button, and you will see a new message with “AUTH” information. Click the “Send” button on your mobile phone (as shown in second panel screenshot below).
Once you send the message, you will receive the message, “You are successfully verified as VCU for GRTC” (as shown in third panel screenshot below).
For iOS Users: Once account verification is completed, iOS users will navigate to the GRTC App, and you will be logged in automatically. You can now go to My passes -> VCU Go Pass
For Android users: Once account verification is completed, Android users have to go to the GRTC App and login with credentials. You can now go to My passes -> VCU Go Pass
**Please note that SMS authentication will fail if the phone number provided in the list does not match the phone number associated with the phone from which the SMS was sent.
6. An option to name your mobile wallet for this app may appear. You can complete this step if you wish, or tap the “X” in the top right-hand corner to dismiss it.
6. Tap “Pay As You Go” in the center of the screen to view your mobile pass. “VCU Go Pass” should now be available. You are now ready to ride!
On the Pulse:
1. Open your GRTC Mobile Pass app and select “Pay As You Go” in the center of the screen.
2. Tap on “VCU Go Pass”. The app will give you an opportunity to verify you’re ready to ride and use your pass. Once you have arrived at the Pulse station, tap "Yes."
3. You will be asked, “Are you riding the Pulse?” Tap “YES.”
4. You will be prompted to scan one of the QR codes located at the Pulse station. Tap “continue”.
5. You will need to allow the app camera access. Point your phone’s camera at one of the QR readers located at the station, and scan it.
6. Once you scan the QR code, your mobile ticket will appear on your phone screen. A clock will start and animate, and your ticket will be available on your phone for 30 minutes.
7. Show your mobile ticket to the enforcement officer when boarding the Pulse. Your mobile ticket must be retained during your entire journey, so be sure to leave your pass running in the background until you get off the Pulse. You will be able to leave the app and return to your mobile pass as long as you don’t deactivate it.
Note: if your pass expires before your Pulse bus arrives, or you want to ride again after 30 minutes have passed, reactivate the pass using the steps above. Remember, you have unlimited rides.
On regular and local routes:
Note: Your mobile pass will expire within two minutes, so make sure to begin this process just prior to the bus’ arrival.
1. Open your GRTC Mobile Pass App and select “Pay As You Go” in the center of the screen.
2. Tap on “VCU Go Pass”. The app will give you an opportunity to verify that you’re ready to ride.
3. Click "Yes" when you are ready to ride. You will be asked, “Are you riding the Pulse?” Tap “NO”.
4. A screen will appear illustrating how to scan your QR code at the farebox reader. Tap “continue”, and your pass will activate.
5. There will be a "countdown" on the pass with a unique QR code that will time out after 2 minutes. Don't worry if you need to activate a new pass before you scan it–you have access to unlimited passes.
6. When you board the bus, scan your active pass at the farebox reader. (Note: If you have a device with a small screen, you can tap on the QR code to enlarge it.)
Enjoy your ride!
Download the [Instructions for the GRTC Mobile Pass].
Installing the GRTC Mobile Pass
In the event you encounter issues with installing the Mobile Pass, contact VCU Technology Services by phone, email or in person. Learn more at https://ts.vcu.edu/it-support-center/.
Contact VCU Parking and Transportation directly at firstname.lastname@example.org, 804-828-7275, or you may submit your feedback online at https://parking.vcu.edu/transportation/grtc/feedback/.
Your GRTC Mobile Pass is associated with your mobile phone and number. In the event you change phones, you will need to re-register your phone number again.
- If you are incoming freshman or new/transfer student, you can begin registration for the GRTC Mobile Pass after you have registered for classes for the upcoming semester.
- If you are a new employee, you can register for the Mobile Pass upon receiving a VCU ID card.
Riding with the Mobile Pass
No! Your ticket is your Mobile Pass. When riding the Pulse, activate and scan your mobile pass at the Pulse station’s QR code and present the mobile receipt to the enforcement officer, along with your VCU ID card, upon boarding.
Yes. All VCU, VCU Health System and Virginia Premier students and employees must present a valid VCU ID card to the driver or enforcement officer, in addition to a Go Pass or Mobile Pass upon boarding GRTC buses.
Sure! You can opt to continue using your GO Pass card and not register for the GRTC Mobile Pass. If you do not currently have a GO Pass, you can request one in-person by visiting a VCU Parking and Transportation customer service office.
No. Make sure you have downloaded both the GRTC Transit On The Go! and GRTC Mobile Pass apps if you want to seamlessly switch between the two apps for both bus tracking and pass usage.
As only one credential can be used to ride GRTC, it is your responsibility to ensure that you maintain adequate data coverage and battery power to operate the Mobile Pass, if you choose this credentialing method as your preferred way to ride.
If you prefer, you can opt to continue using your GO Pass card and not register for the GRTC Mobile Pass. If you do not currently have a GO Pass, you can request one in-person by visiting a VCU Parking and Transportation customer service office.
- Once you scan a QR code at the Pulse station, a screen will populate on your phone that shows information about where and when you got on the Pulse. You’ll need to show this screen to the enforcement officer.
- A clock will then start and animate, which you will need to leave running in the background while you ride the Pulse. Once you complete your ride on the Pulse, click the "Deactivate" button, and you're done until ready to ride again. If your pass expires before your Pulse bus arrives, or you want to ride again after 30 minutes have passed, reactivate the pass using the steps above. Remember, you have unlimited rides.
- Regular, local, express routes:
- On local/express routes, you should activate your pass within two minutes of your bus arriving. A "countdown" will populate on the pass with a unique QR code that will time out. Don't worry if you need to reload the pass before you scan it - you haven't officially used the pass until you scan it at the farebox.
Only one credential can be used to ride GRTC. If you would like to use the GRTC Mobile Pass as your primary credential, then you can go ahead and proceed with registration. Keep in mind, if you currently have a physical GO Pass card, it will be deactivated following successful registration of your GRTC Mobile Pass.
If you prefer to continue riding GRTC using your physical GO Pass, you should not begin the registration process for the Mobile Pass, and you can continue using your GO Pass card as normal.
Only one credential can be used to ride GRTC. If you prefer to use the GRTC Mobile Pass to ride, then you should proceed with installation. Your Go Pass will be deactivated following the successful installation of the Mobile Pass.
In the event you change phones, you will need to re-register your phone number again at apps.parking.vcu.edu/grtcsignup.
No. You can only utilize the Mobile Pass with the mobile phone and phone number you registered during the initial sign-up process. In the event you changed phones, you will need to re-register your phone number again at apps.parking.vcu.edu/grtcsignup, and authenticate your new phone via SMS.
Yes, you will need to allow camera access to use your mobile pass on the Pulse.