VCU-GRTC Safety Committee
VCU and GRTC have formed a joint safety committee with members from VCU Police, VCU Parking and Transportation and GRTC. Meetings are held quarterly with goals of promoting and maintaining the interest of the VCU community in regards to safety issues/concerns related to riding GRTC. If you would like to bring forth a safety concern for the committee to discuss, submit it using our form.
RamSafe and VCU Health System's security escort service remain available through VCU Parking and Transportation and VCU Police. Should a VCU student or employee ever feel unsafe, you are strongly encouraged to use these services.
RamSafe is an evening shuttle service for the Monroe Park Campus that runs from 5 p.m. to 8 a.m. daily.
Security escort services are available on the MCV Campus, also from 5 p.m. to 8 a.m. daily, by calling 804-828-WALK. Students and employees on the MCV Campus traveling from VCU-affiliated buildings can request an escort ride to the GRTC bus stop at 12th and Broad streets.
GRTC Safety Features
All GRTC buses have security cameras (audio and video) inside and outside the bus, with full visibility range. The footage from these cameras can assist with an investigation or safety concern. Additionally, all buses are equipped with several emergency buttons for the Operator to activate if needed, and are priority-based. In the event a passenger requires emergency assistance on-board, passengers should notify the Operator immediately. If the passenger cannot get to the Operator, the passenger should call 911 and tell the emergency responder the bus identification number (for example, Pulse bus 2010).
All Pulse platforms have an Emergency Call Box/Button that connects directly to 911 as well as live security cameras (video) showing all angles of the platform. Supervisors monitor these in real-time, and emergency responders can access them if needed.
GRTC Supervisors are stationed in the field to respond in a timely manner if there is a situation requiring additional assistance.
How to Ride GRTC
Local and Express Routes:
- Tap your GRTC/VCU GO Pass on the blue lighted smart card area as you board the bus.
- Present your VCU, VCU Health System, or Virginia Premier issued ID card to the driver. Ensure the photo on your ID is visible.
- Tap your GRTC/VCU GO Pass on the smart reader at the ticket vending machine located at the Pulse stop.
- Take the receipt from the tray.
- Present your receipt and VCU, VCU Health System, or Virginia Premier issued ID card to the enforcement officer upon boarding
- Monroe Park and MCV Campus Bus Map [PDF] (Campus map of Pulse and Route 5 stops)
- Monroe Park and MCV Campus Bus Map w/ Connector [PDF] (Campus map of Pulse, Route 5, and previous Connector stops)
- Aerial Bus Map [PDF] (Aerial map of Pulse, Route 5, and previous Connector stops)
Want to use GRTC but don't know how to navigate the system? We are hosting one-hour sessions with a GRTC travel trainer to cover how to use the GRTC bus system, navigating Pulse/Route 5 routes across campus, and commuting from Richmond's Northside, Southside, East End and West End to VCU's Monroe Park and/or MCV campuses.
- Additional dates announced soon!
15 person max./ class.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for personalized assistance with planning your commute.